Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cycles

So 8 years ago when I was in my last year of college I took a spinnng class at the Textile Arts Center. I loved it so much that I bought my own wheel.

I don't have this exact model, I didn't have enough to splurge on the double treadle, I wish I had now, I would love a double treadle. My wheel works just fine, but I'm really into the idea of spinning my own yarn being such a knitter now. So I have this wheel that has been collecting a nice amount of dust in the corner and very few people realized it was there. My friend Linda's birthday was the same day as the WW KIP event here in Chicago and she got the first real decent amount of hopefully knittable yarn from my wheel. I have no idea of how much yardage there was, but it looks real purty in its hank form. I've decided to pick up spinnng again and see what comes of it. I went to a meeting of the Windy City Spinning Guild last wednesday. I've been trying to go for the longest time, but they only meet once a month on wednesday evenings, and I usually work that night. (but not for much longer!) It was interesting, not a lot of people there, but something nice to go to once a month. This older lady whose name I do not remember did a mini class on cleaning raw fleece, something I would not fear doing, but would rather pay a little extra to have it done for me. Now I have one more thing to shop for at Stitches Midwest! So here are a couple of not so good before spinning and after spinning pictures.

Oh, the white stuff is some pencil roving I got at the Wisconsin Sheep and Festival last year. Some years ago I bought some of this mystery black wool with specks of silk noil in it, this is what it looks like when I got bored saturday night and decided to watch a movie and spin, I even plied it, wash it and dried it weighted! I've declared this the summer of fiber! I'm going to relax, knit alot, spin a storm up and hang out alot in my garden. I went to a rummage sale today, I had seen an ad on Craigslist for it and it caught my eye when it mentioned a spinning wheel. Well, the wheel was already gone when I got there, but I did find this photo by the aluminum needle pile. Neeto!

No comments: