Monday, April 16, 2007

Post 57

I did not mean to not blog, FIMS is MIA. Well actually, landlord was over last week, we had some issues with a finicky lock and needed to talk about the lack of proper lighting etc. and guess what I found out, landlord is FIMS! We talked about encrypting the signal and us having access, it's only fair since we do all the gardening. So I'm blogging at a friends house while babysitting. I have a new savings fund, the "I need a new iPod fund". I have decided that my old pod needs to be replaced due to damage, lack of storage and the fact I can't load any new music because when I go past song 2606 it freaks out. So I'm whoring myself (the knit kind of whoring, dirty filthy minds you have) and picked up a couple of finishing projects. I have learned I don't care for British patterns, both of which these were. The first was a fluffy white chenille baby pod looking thing, poorly designed but easy to seam since the fluffy yarn is forgiving, no need to go completely crazy and perfectionist, unlike project 2. This was one heavy sweater! 21 balls of mostly alpaca/silk weighs alot! The pattern was simple, with fairly straight lines and simple design, it's a Debbie Bliss, but the knitter knitted the neck band twice as long as needed, so out that came, and made the evil decision of picking black. I HATE BLACK ALPACA! It's beautiful but a royal pain in the ass to seam, you can's see shit, the light does something funky to the color and the fiber so this project took me longer, but I am very proud of my crochet join, it's clean and neat and I would consider myself an expert at this now.





Oh and by the way double crochet in english is not the same in american, FYI! The last touch for finishing required a double crochet around the edges, but in american it's really a single crochet and chain1, just in case you wanted to know. I picked up those two a couple of weeks ago but put off doing them until the last minute, because basically I forgot.
Last week we had a freak bit of snow.
The big tree around the corner from the house keeled over and died, taking part of a roof and a Benz with it. My neighbor John and I figured it was at least a hundred years old, now there's a big hole on the sky.
I think, I hope, I'm wishing Spring is almost around the corner? I had two major projects planned for the summer, and one is down, cleaning and organizing the space under the back staircase and storage shelves, oiy my back muscles hurt. Chicago has a unique house style, usually the 2-3 flats you see also have a backstair case. If you're lucky the backstaircase is in good shape, if your luckier it's enclosed, which mine is and has a nifty little storage space under the first landing. So summer isn't here, spring barely is and I already have one major pain in the ass projects over!
I returned some crappy yarn I purchased at Joann's, I had plans to make Dentist neighbor a baby blanket, but after 6 inches of 100% pure acrylic, I just couldn't do it, the yarn was so nasty, so hideous feeling, it was unnatural.(she got the green sweater) I returned the unused balls and bought some fleece to make a dog crate pillow, which Bella quicky claimed as her own, I swear she did this herself!
Finally down to real knitting. I only have three active projects and they are taking forever so no need to talk about them. This Saturday is the Lorna's Laces tour, so some of the ipod fund will go toward sock yarn, which I'm sure there will be, I love a good bargain and the chase to be in a room stuffed full of yarn,oooooooh!

No comments: